Read below to learn the tips and techniques that have helped other people receive treatment.

Is Inpatient Eating Disorder Treatment the same as Residential Eating Disorder Treatment?

Please note that “Inpatient” treatment is a different level of care than “Residential”. Inpatient treatment is traditionally in a hospital setting and is focused on medical stabilization. Inpatient Eating Disorder Treatment is provided for a short period of time and is followed by the “residential” level of care. Residential Eating Disorder Treatment while also including medical stabilization, focuses on the recovery from the eating disorder. It’s important to realize that most Medicaid policies do offer inpatient coverage.

What steps can I take to get Medicaid to cover residential treatment for an Eating Disorder?

Step One: Contact your insurance company and ask to be assigned a Case Manager. (This is easier in some companies than others. Remember there are many different companies that provide policies for Medicaid and each company has specific policies.) Step Two: Once you have a case manager, tell them, “I need to find a treatment center where I can receive Residential treatment for an Eating Disorder. Can you please help me arrange a single case agreement?” A single case agreement is a onetime contract between the insurance company and the provider.

What’s the role of a case manager?

The case manager is your advocate. S/he must “hand walk” your request for a single case agreement through a process of conversations with managers and supervisors in an attempt to gain approval. In short, the Case Manager is your friend. So be kind and appreciative of their help! Helpful tips  Make notes of every conversation.  Record the name and phone number for every person you speak with.  Be kind and appreciative.  Ask, “When would you expect to know something?” Then Follow up with a call, don’t simply wait for a callback.

What are my options if I can’t get a Single case agreement?

If you’ve gone through the steps and have determined that a single case agreement is not possible, you can pursue the following options. Keep in mind, if you are under 26 years old, you can be added to the insurance policy offered through the employer of either your mother or father.

Financing for Eating Disorder Treatment

If you need help paying for all of your treatment, a portion of treatment, your deductibles or co-pays, financing is available. The cost of Eating Disorder treatment is an investment in your future and that of your family. We’ve partnered with a well-respected finance company that is now providing financing for treatment at Canopy Cove Eating Disorder Treatment Center. You can apply online at by clicking here.

Other financing Options:

You may want to consider using one of the following loan options: Home Equity Loan, 2nd Mortgage, loan against a life insurance policy, a loan from one or more family members.


One option for helping with treatment costs is a fundraiser. Online sources such as Fundly and GoFundMe provide an easy way to share the news that you or a loved one is raising funds for treatment. You may also want to contact local churches as they may be able to make a financial contribution.


Often a person’s family is the best resource for finding help with payment for treatment. If possible, numerous families may need to be involved through contributions or financing a portion of treatment costs.

Final Comments:

You may consider combining several of the above options to help you in paying for treatment. Although it can be a challenge to arrange for payment, it’s important to remember that you or your loved one deserves to fully recover from an Eating Disorder.